After the journalists and writers association 'Concordia' was established in 1859, it was agreed that the occasion deserved its own ball. On January 19th 1863, the first 'Concordia Ball' was held at the Sofiensäle. The ball soon became an annual highlight in the calendars of Viennese society. From its conception, it was visited by figures from politics, society and art. In its second year was referred to in the 'Morning Post' as the 'crown of elite balls'. Until the 50th Anniversary Ball in 1914, the only year in which the Concordia Ball did not take place was 1889 following the death of Crown Prince Rudolf, who regularly frequented the ball.
After the First World War and the collapse of the monarchy, the importance of the Concordia Ball waned. In the early 1930s the ball fell prey to the tumultuous political and economic conditions. After the 'Anschluss', Press Club Concordia was forcibly disbanded by the Nazis. Despite the reactivation of Press Club Concordia after the war, the mood to hold a ball was not quick to return.
In 1960 came the revival of the Concordia Ball under the president of the Press Club, Rudolf Kalmar, with the support of Hans Mandl, Vienna's Vice Mayor. It was at this time that the Concordia Ball found its new home at Vienna's City Hall during the 'Vienna Festival'.
Felix Czeike: Historical Dictionary of Vienna. (Volume 1). Publisher Kremayr & Scheriau, Vienna 1992, page 589
Felix Czeike: Concordiaball. In: Wochenspiegel 6 (1986), page 5